Tuesday, August 4, 2009

MY "VOICE FROM THE PAST" - A PHONE CALL FROM ROBERT VAVRA

Three days ago, Robert Vavra called me. I had not spoken to him since 1988 when I illustrated two books for him. He sounds, of course, wonderful, like no time has passed at all. We talked about his new projects, he asked about my art now, and we talked a bit too about Bill Wheeler, someone we both knew, who has gone to the other side now.

I was glad to get to ask Robert if he thought he would ever consider doing a Pegasus book, because I have painted so many -- but before you think cutesy-poo, I painted most of them with such a sense of reality about them, that their mystical origins seemed rather moot.... horses, real horses.... legends that lived, and live.... winged-equines. I had been working on a kid's book with a very talented writer and doing illustrations for it. I still do that type scene now and again. The concept of a Pegasus foal is tender, and my series working-title was "Still too Young to Fly." I copyrighted that, in fact. Anyway, Robert said no, that the time for books of Unicorns or of Pegasus has passed. He is focusing on a life's masterwork coming out in a couple years which I hope to contribute to, called Remembering Africa. And he has a new book out right now, and also a novel he is writing. I believe he said he has now had 29 books published. Truly the man is a legend.

No comments: